Sporties @ Kareela Golf has the largest junior contingent in the Shire, and its young golfers have been very successful in both JNJG tournament golf and in representative matches. Young golfers from the club won the State Encourage Shield championship in 2011, in only the second year the club had again been able to enter a team. In 2012, they were runners-up.
The Club’s development programme is based around two approaches:
1. COACHING/DEVELOPMENT – The club runs clinics for different levels of skill. For beginners, coaching clinics are conducted on Friday afternoons from 4pm to 5pm. The cost is $10 pp per session.
For junior members of the club, coaching clinics are held on Friday afternoons from 4pm-5pm and are free of cost for junior members.
2. ENCOURAGEMENT to play golf as much as possible – The club aims to achieve this in a number of ways;
At the club level; the Junior Golf Foundation offers a junior prize of $25 for competitions where four or more juniors enter.
At the JNJG tournament level (junior competitions at other clubs); the Junior Foundation subsidises the cost of entry. Additionally, the club bus is used on many occasions to transport juniors to and from these competitions.
During school holidays; junior tournaments are often held at the club with the overall theme of the day being fun, food and the spirit of golf.
Junior membership is free for the first year and then membership costs $80pa. You need to have basic competition level of skill to join. Age range is 10 years to under 18 years, but any junior younger than 10 who can demonstrate a reasonable golfing proficiency, will be accepted.
For those reaching the age of 18 years, who are pursuing full time study and wish to continue with their golf, the club does offer a student rate of half the normal full time adult rate.
For more information and any enquiries, please contact the Pro Shop on (02) 9521 6279.
- Junior members may be eligible for a special $25 award when they play in a KGC competition round – see details on the JUNIOR NOTICE BOARD in the pro-shop.
- To be eligible to win a club competition event there must be a player aged 18 years or over in your group – see page 8 in your fixture book.
- Kareela Junior Golf Assn will refund some of your entry fees for JNJG and similar events – give your receipts to Carol Jones, Lesley Aston or Ian Colley.